Thinking About Starting a Group? Here's What You Need to Know
Worried about nonprofit incorporation? Don't have time to complete another annual tax return? Stressed about 501(c)(3) status? DON'T BE.
Thanks to technology, it's very easy to form a NPCA affiliate group and organize activities. Groups organize RPCVs and/or Peace Corps supporters to do what our community does best — make the world a better place. They just need a mission to rally around — geography, country of service, workplace affiliation, affinity, cause — and maybe a little bit of money. Following a simple application process and approval by the NPCA's Board of Directors, groups become formal affiliate groups of the NPCA. We'll help you get up and running and provide ongoing support in the areas of mission, programs (e.g., advocacy, refugee support), technology, and member management.
- What is your group's mission? Will people join to support a cause, advocate for Peace Corps, serve your community, promote the Third Goal and/or stay connected?
- Would your group have a charitable purpose — mentoring, grants, service opportunities, etc.? If yes, in which state would you want to register your group? Registration is usually a simple online process, costing a few hundred dollars.
- Will your group raise money? if so, how (e.g., memberships, donations, etc.)? Basic accounting software is easy to use, linked to your group's bank account.
- Does your group (eventually) want to seek 501(c)(3) tax deductible status? (No rush, you don't need it when annual revenues are $5000 or less.)
- Taxes? Very easy to file (just a postcard, literally) when annual revenues are $50,000 or less.
- A network of affiliate group leaders from which to seek advice
- Webinars on group-related topics
- An affiliate group resource library for in-depth info
- Affordable website and database technology, if desired
- Collection and disbursement of membership dues, if desired
- An online directory that helps RPCVs find groups
- Promotion of groups through NPCA media channels
Tap into our resource library, set up a call to talk through the process with NPCA staff and/or just start working on the affiliation application. But don't take it just from us; here's a note from one of our newest affiliate groups:
"We are extremely excited to become a part of the NPCA family and look forward to working with you all!
"Honestly, your support and suite of available resources has made the once daunting task of starting [the group] easy. Likewise, we are extremely for you awarding us the IT grant to help us get up and running! THANK YOU!
"We are ready to hit the ground running to start contributing to the NPCA's goals!"
READY TO SIGN UP? Visit our Affiliate Group Resource Library with an extensive array of resources and toolkits for your reference. There is even a "Getting Started Toolkit."