US Census Bureau (Multiple Positions Available)
This job is expired.
To be eligible for a 2020 Census job, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Have a valid email address.
- Complete an application and answer assessment questions. (Some assessment questions are available in Spanish. However, an English proficiency test may also be required.)
- Be registered with the Selective Service System or have a qualifying exemption, if you are a male born after Dec. 31, 1959.
- Pass a Census-performed criminal background check and a review of criminal records, including fingerprinting.
- Commit to completing training.
- Be available to work flexible hours, which can include days, evenings, and/or weekends.
Most jobs require employees to:
- Have access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license, unless public transportation is readily available.
- Have access to a computer with internet and an email account (to complete training).
If you are employed elsewhere, your current job must be compatible with Census Bureau employment and not create conflicts of interest. These will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Also, you must not engage in any partisan political activity while on duty.
The Census Bureau is an equal opportunity employer. For more information, visit our Equal Employment Opportunity page.
If you are a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. armed forces and were separated under honorable conditions, you may be eligible for veterans’ preference. Documentation supporting your claim for preference must accompany your application. For more information, visit the U.S. Office of Personnel Management Veterans’ Preference page.
What to Expect
Most 2020 Census positions will likely last several weeks. These temporary positions can include census takers, recruiting assistants, office staff, and supervisory staff. They feature:
- Competitive wages
- Weekly paychecks
- Flexible hours
- Paid training
Some positions require evening and/or weekend shifts because you must be available to interview members of the public when they are at home. In addition, most 2020 Census jobs require employees to have:
- A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle, unless public transportation is readily available
- Access to a computer with internet and an email account (to complete training)
While positions are available across the country, the Census Bureau is committed to hiring people to work in the area where they live. After all, you are likely the most familiar with the people and places within your own community.
To learn more about positions near you, contact your area census office at 1-855-JOB-2020 (1-855-562-2020) and select option 3. You may also use the Federal Relay Service at 1-800-877-8339 for TTY/ASCII.
To learn more about specific pay rates in your area, please visit our Pay & Locations page.
- Fall 2018: The Census Bureau will launch a smaller-scale recruiting effort to fill recruiting assistant, office operations supervisor, and clerk positions for offices that will open starting in January 2019. The first job offers will be made in the fall of 2018. To determine whether there will be an office in your area and to see the pay rate for office positions, please visit our Pay & Locations page.
- January 2019: Recruiting will begin for census taker positions for Address Canvassing, the first major field operation of the 2020 Census. The recruiting effort to support the Address Canvassing operation will take place from January 2019 through June 2019. Applicants selected to work on this operation will work mostly daylight hours, updating address lists and maps.
- Summer 2019: The majority of job offers for the Address Canvassing operation will be made in the summer of 2019. Several thousand positions will be available throughout the country.
19 Aug 2019
13 Dec 2019
Ready to Apply?
If you meet these qualifications, take the next step toward joining our team! The application process takes about 30 minutes. You will need to provide your Social Security number, home address, email address, phone number, and your date and place of birth.