The mission of the Northern Virginia (NOVA) RPCV group (a NPCA Affiliated Group) is to:
- To support Returned Peace Corps Volunteers residing in the Northern Virginia area,
- To promote a better understanding of the people of countries in which our RPCVs have served, the Third Goal of the Peace Corps,
- To continue making the world a better place through community service and offering small grants for community development projects, and
- To advocate for the needs and goals of the Peace Corps and Peace Corps community.
In keeping with this mission, and in response to the racial justice awakening of 2020, the NOVA RPCV group set out with a goal to help its members become more anti-racist and provide a place for learning, understanding, and growth. The group provided a free 6 week anti-racism program for its members. The program was a very big success and members who participated found great value in what they learned from the program.
NOVA RPCVs could see that other NPCA Affiliate Groups would also benefit from this program, so they have designed a Training of Trainers to provide Affiliate Groups with a comprehensive anti-racism program to share with their memberships.
The Training of Trainers (TOT) will include: contracting with Sue Ries Lamb to provide training, materials, and ongoing consultation for 20 RPCV’s, who will be trained as trainers. The actual training program will occur weekly for 12 weeks so that the trainees experience the program one week and learn how to train it the following week. By the end of the TOT, trainers will be able to conduct a 6 week anti-racism program within Affiliate Groups.
- January, 2022 design and development of training of trainers program
- February, 2002 preparation of training of trainers manual
- March - May, 2022 conduct 12 session program
- June, 2022 - June 2023 trainers conduct program locally with consultation as needed.
NPCA invests 85 percent of the total donations directly to support this project and 15 percent where needed most to support service administration and our overall mission.