On September 24, National Peace Corps Association hosted its Annual General Membership Meeting online. Here are videos and resources from the event.
By NPCA Staff
On September 24, NPCA was honored to host more than 300 members of the Peace Corps community for the 2022 Annual General Membership Meeting (AGMM). It was an opportunity to celebrate, share updates from staff and our new board chair, John Lee Evans, and, in breakout rooms, discuss and reflect. And it was an opportunity to bring together so many individuals who care deeply about NPCA’s mission of encouraging and celebrating a lifelong commitment to Peace Corps ideals.
During our virtual meeting, we showcased key initiatives that NPCA has implemented to support the Peace Corps community. We honored the winners of the Loret Miller Ruppe Award for Community Service: the RPCV Alliance for Ukraine, the Friends of Moldova, and Partnering for Peace. Their work supporting refugees from Ukraine and helping those in harm’s way shows how time and again Volunteers show a commitment to Peace Corps ideals in a time of crisis. We also celebrated the recipients of the Women of Peace Corps Legacy Awards, Jaynice del Rosario and Dr. Therese P. Castillo.
We heard a Peace Corps agency update from Rebecca Gong Sharp, who directs programs in Europe, the Mediterranean, and Asia. One ringing message for all of us: After two years without Volunteers serving overseas, they’re returning to dozens of countries — and Peace Corps needs your help in recruiting the next generation of Volunteers to carry on the work of building peace and friendship.
Valerie Young, the advocacy coordinator at the Maine Peace Corps Association, shared with audience members her experience on working with Congress to support the Peace Corps — especially as, this year, we’re working to pass the Peace Corps Reauthorization Act — the most sweeping Peace Corps legislation in a generation.
Watch AGMM highlights and the full meeting on the NPCA YouTube channel playlist.
Annual General Membership Meeting 2022 [Full Recording]
President’s Report Featuring Dan Baker, NPCA Interim President and CEO
Awards presentations: Loret Miller Ruppe Award for Outstanding Community Service | Women of Peace Corps Legacy Award
AGMM sessions, closing keynote, and adjournment: Welcome Remarks with John Lee Evans, NPCA Board Chair | Advocacy: Peace Corps 2.0 | Peace Corps Keynote Speaker: Rebecca Gong Sharp | Closing and Adjournment
Some Special Thanks
All of us at NPCA share a special appreciation for the work by Ruby Jauregui, Jewel Jauregui, and Robin Horwitz from Interpreter Now for providing ASL interpretation services during the meeting, especially on short notice. We should note that the ASL interpretation was unfortunately not captured in the Zoom recordings; in future meetings we’re taking steps to ensure it will be. In the videos we’ve posted, closed captioning is available on YouTube.
Share your feedback
We welcome and invite you to share your feedback as we prepare for next year’s meeting by completing our 2022 AGMM Survey. Your insight is vital to ensuring that we continue to meet the needs of our membership.
Resources mentioned during AGMM:
- Jobs with Jodi Playlist | Meet the new NPCA Board Chair, John Lee Evans
- Read WorldView in digital format on the web or available in print layout.
- Download the WorldView app in the Apple Store or Google Play. Open it, log in with your Apple ID or Google Account, and explore!
- Visit the Museum of the Peace Corps Experience and the Peace Corps Commemorative websites to learn more.
- View the NPCA 2021 Financial Audit and the NPCA 2021 AGMM minutes on our website.
- Show your support for NPCA and the Peace Corps community with a generous donation: peacecorpsconnect.org/give
- Don’t forget to register for the Women and Girls Win! virtual event on October 11, 2022 with Women of Peace Corps Legacy.
- Write your Members of Congress today in support of the Peace Corps Reauthorization Act — and spread the word!
- Thanks to everyone who joined Peace Corps at the Kennedy Center for Global Connections: Stories from the Peace Corps, which took place later on September 24. View the event on the Millennium Stage here.
- For more information on the Ruppe award-winning project, reach out to Partnering for Peace at firstname.lastname@example.org, RPCV Alliance for Ukraine at email@example.com, and Friends of Moldova at firstname.lastname@example.org.