Educators Toolbox – Global Issues
The following are links to websites where you can find up-to-date information and resources on specific global issues. Use these pages to find statistics, publications, news and current events, and information about people and organizations working on these issues.
- Development and Sustainability
- Education and Literacy
- Environment and Energy
- Economics, Globalization, and Debt
- Human Rights, Sweatshops, Justice, and Democracy
- Hunger and Poverty
- Inter-Governmental Organizations
- Peace, Conflict, and Landmines
- Population and Migration
- Refugees, IDPs, and Immigration
- Women and Girls
- UNICEF U.N. Agency working on behalf of the world’s children. Annual report: The State of the World’s Children; Statistics; Information Resources – publications and videos.
- Free the Children Network of children helping children: Focus on child labor, children’s rights, child poverty, child abuse; Leadership programs.
- Children’s Defense Fund The Children’s Defense Fund exists to provide a strong and effective voice for all the children of America, especially the poor, minority, and disabled children.
- Save the Children Nonprofit humanitarian relief and development organization working in more than 40 countries throughout the developing world and the United States. Mission is to create lasting, positive change in the lives of children in need.
Development & Sustainability
- The World Bank’s Development Education Program Sustainable Development Focus: Learning Modules, Learning Tools, Resources for Educators, Newsletter; Millennium Challenge; World Bank primary sources, and more.
- U. N. Development Program U.N. Agency focussing on Poverty alleviation, Democratic Governance, Women, AIDS, Environment & Energy, & more. Annual Human Development reports; Global development updates.
Education & Literacy
- U.N. Educational, Scientific & Cultural Organization UNESCO promotes collaboration for human advancement; Information Services, Statistics, Publications, “Culture of Peace” project; Wide focus.
Environment & Energy
- Envirolink Network of many environmental organizations; Clearinghouse of environmental information on the web; Educational Materials, Searchable Databases.
- Worldwatch Institute Public policy research organization focussing on many environment-economics oriented global problems & trends; Annual State of the World report and other publications.
- World Resources Institute Research/think-tank organization; sources of information and analysis on global environmental problems; Online bookstore; Biennial ‘World Resources’ report; Searchable.
- GLOBE: Global Learning & Observation to Benefit the Environment A network of students, teachers and scientists working together to study and understand the global environment; Teacher’s Guide; Resource room; Teacher Workshops.
- GlobalWarming101 Web Forums, Ask the Expert online sessions, curriculum and action opportunities around global warming.
Economics, Globalization & Debt
- United for a Fair Economy Activist & Education organization working on economic justice, poverty, income inequality, and globalization: Economics & Globalization workshops; Publications, including “Teaching Economics as if People Mattered”; Online Research Library.
- International Forum on Globalization Think Tank and Education group focusing on the impacts and challenges of globalization.
- Virtual Library on Microcredit Global Development Research Center project: A repository of information on alternative, non-conventional financial systems and microcredit.
- The World Bank The Bank’s mission is to fight poverty with passion and professionalism for lasting results. Lots of information & programs; Debt Cancellation Program; Loans & Aid; Development.
- Fair Trade Resource Network The Fair Trade Resource Network’s goal is to raise consumer awareness about improving people’s lives through Fair Trade alternatives by gathering and compiling research and data, providing information to the public, and galvanizing Fair Trade organizations and individuals seeking to get involved.
- United Nations AIDS Project Joint U.N. project working on the global AIDS crisis; Epidemic updates; Global Statistics; Information & Articles; Links, Publications, Campaigns.
- World Health Organization A specialized UN agency that promotes cooperation for health among all nations; Health Topics; Info sources on World Health Issues.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention The lead federal agency for protecting the health and safety of the people at home and abroad. Health Education; Environmental Health.
Human Rights, Sweatshops, Justice & Democracy
- Human Rights Resource Center University of Minnesota-based resource center offering Human Rights Education materials, networking, training for activists & educators, and background information, including HR treaties and laws.
- Amnesty International Global Organization working for the protection of human rights. High School Amnesty Clubs; Educator Section; Kids section; News, reports, campaigns.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights U.N. agency for Human Rights; Human Rights Education Database; News updates; Focus on children & women.
- Human Rights Watch Dedicated to reporting HR abuses with a focus on corporations. Mailing lists, Good Publications; Updated HR news and information.
- Sweatshops.org Educational guides; Curriculum; Campaigns; Corporate Reviews; Sweatshops explained; Links.
- Global Youth Connect A youth-led network supporting & training front-line youth human rights activists, and encouraging new activism.
- Derechos Human Rights Web-based organization: Issue Briefings, Lists of Organizations & Links; Publications; Country-specific info & updates.
- Human Rights Internet Canada based HR site: databases, textbook profiles, educational resources; List of syllabi & courses in human rights.
Hunger & Poverty
- Feeding Minds Fighting Hunger An international online classroom that focuses on the issues of hunger, malnutrition, and food insecurity. Includes lesson plans, sample materials and an interactive forum.
- KIDS Can Make a Difference Grades 6-12 program for students to become empowered about poverty & hunger issues; Finding Solutions to Hunger Teacher Guide with 25 lesson plans; Hunger Quiz; Newsletter; Hunger Facts.
- RESULTS Grassroots lobbying & education organization working to create the political will to end hunger & poverty.
- Oxfam America Education Program Oxfam works for an end to global poverty, hunger & injustice. Through Oxfam’s Fast for a World Harvest campaign you can access the Oxfam Hunger Banquet Planning Kit, videos and other Free educational materials.
- Hunger Banquet An Oxfam America program that acts as a virtual learning tool for high school students. In a unique, choose-your-own-adventure, each student learns about the choices people living in developing countries must make. Through the stories of a Guatemalan coffee grower, a farmer in Mozambique, a widow in Cambodia, and others students can make decisions and watch their effects.
- CARE Information about the activities of this nonprofit organization working to relieve hunger and poverty in the world.
- National Student Campaign Against Hunger & Homelessness A Coalition of students and community members across the country to end hunger and homelessness through education, service and action.
- The Hunger Project NGO working strategically in many countries to end chronic persistent hunger; Definition and explanation of hunger.
- World Hunger Year World Hunger Year (WHY) seeks to end hunger and poverty by addressing their root causes and promoting self-reliance.
- The Hunger Site ‘Click-to-Donate’ site sending food aid around the world.
- Bread for the World A Christian movement that seeks justice for the world’s hungry people through lobbying. Good information on world hunger and related issues; Annual Hunger Report; Fact Sheets; Links.
- Feeding America The largest domestic hunger relief organization in the United States. They distribute food and support thousands of charitable agencies and food programs.
- Heifer International Program to end hunger & poverty through the delivery of animals and training in care and use of animals; Learning Centers & Study Tours; Gift Catalog.
- United Nations Homepage United Nations – central webpage – links to agencies, departments and all aspects of the UN’s work and mission.
- Organization of American States Regional inter-governmental body working on peace, security, economic, democratic social & political issues & policy; Children’s Corner.
Peace, Conflict & Landmines
- Campaign for a Landmine Free World Based at the Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation, the campaign seeks to rid the world of landmines and educate the public about the issue. Post-conflict rehab clinics; Landmine Awareness programs; Global Landmine Survey; Search and Learn tools; Links & more.
- Institute for Multitrack Diplomacy Conflict Resolution organization working in various parts of the world; Peace building focus; Publications.
- Landmine Survivors Network Helps survivors reclaim their lives, live with handicap; related News updates.
- United States Institute for Peace The mission of the United States Institute of Peace is to strengthen the nation’s capabilities to promote the peaceful resolution of international conflicts.
- Wilmington College Peace Resource Center The Center provides peace education materials both locally and throughout the country through a book purchase service, audio-visual rentals, circulating libraries in both English and Japanese, and a research collection on the immediate and long-term effects of the 1945 atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan.
Population & Migration
- Population Reference Bureau Educator’s Forum Lesson Plans; Tools and info for teachers on various population topics; Resource guides; Current Data & Statistics; Publications; Quickfacts.
- Population Connection’s Education Resources Education & Advocacy NGO: Population Education Teaching Materials:World Population video, charts, Lesson Plans, Awareness Campaign Kits & more.
- United Nations Fund for Population Activities U.N. Agency working with developing countries to find solutions to population problems; Free Population Issues Briefing Kit; Annual State of World Population report; Data and Statistics.
- The Population Institute Population Advocacy & Education organization; Publications; Facts & Figures; Links; Educate America Campaign.
- Population in Perspective: A Curriculum Resource High school-level curriculum resource book that challenges students to think critically about national and international population issues. 276 pages of teaching ideas, background readings, up-to-date facts and figures, provocative quotes, poems, and cartoons, and a comprehensive resource list.
Refugees, IDPs, & Immigration
- American Immigration Home Page The American Immigration Home Page – started as a 10th grade American History Class project – provides comparative historical contexts and illustrations on immigrants’ decision to immigrate and their treatment in America.
- Beyond the Fire Beyond the Fire takes you into the lives of teenage refugees through various text and audio stories and other educational resources.
- The Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) CIS is an independent, non-partisan, non-profit research organization devoted exclusively to research and policy analysis of economic, social, demographic, fiscal and other impacts of immigration on the United States.
- Immigrants and American Identity Fellows from the Yale-New Haven Teachers Institute have prepared curricular materials for school courses on the subject of immigration and American identity. Curriculum units include: objectives, teaching strategies, sample lessons, classroom activities, and references to additional resources for teachers and students.
- Justice for Immigrants The Catholic Campaign for Immigration Reform aims to educate the public, especially the Catholic community, about Catholic teachings on migration and immigrants; to create political will for positive immigration reform; to enact legislative and administrative reforms; and to mobilize Catholic networks to assist qualified immigrants in obtaining the benefits of the reforms.
- Library of Congress Interviews with Today’s Immigrants, from the Library of Congress’ American Memory Collection, illustrates the stories of the American immigration experience during the second half of the 20th century and early years of the 21st century. Site also provides project resources that may help shape teacher planning on immigration.
- National Immigration Forum The National Immigration Forum is the nation’s premier immigrations rights organization dedicated to embracing and upholding America’s tradition as a nation of immigrants. Comprehensive resources include: press releases, fact sheets, summary of legislation, and a community resource bank.
- NY Times: Immigration and Refugees NY Times articles and audio clips from different points of view about immigration and refugees.
- U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants The mission of USCRI is to address the needs of refugees and immigrants by advancing fair and humane public policy, facilitating and providing direct professional services, and promoting the full participation of migrants in community life.
- U. N. High Commissioner on Refugees UN Agency responsible for protection & assistance to the world’s refugees. For Teachers section with quality Free teaching resources and guides; Refworld – facts, figures, news, publications.
- WaterCan & H2Oh! Canadian-based NGO with lesson plans to raise awareness about the importance of water throughout the world. Lesson plans are organized by grade level (grades 4-10).
- UNICEF Voices of Youth: Water, Environment and Sanitation Offers facts about water rights and water-related diseases in addition to real life stories. Also features an interactive game called “Water Alert!” where players struggle to provide a village access to safe water.
- Oxfam Great Britain: Cool Planet Water for All” curriculum features seven lesson plans including interactive on-line components. Lessons focus on the causes, effects and solutions to water shortages throughout the world. Includes case studies, numerous photographs and slideshows. One lesson uses a variety of graphs to help students analyze water distribution world-wide.
- Peace Corps World Wise Schools: Water in Africa Contains numerous lessons plans organized by age groups and subjects. Resources include photographs and stories about water submitted by Peace Corps volunteers.
- International Year of Fresh Water 2003 Good source of education resources on water. Divides resources by theme and includes extensive links to games, lessons, videos, and other activities. Features water proverbs from around the world. Many resources also available in French or Spanish.
- World Environment Day A United Nations Environment Programme site with kid-friendly information on water, including a water quiz, information on water projects, and audio & video resources.
Women & Girls
- U. N. Development Fund for Women UNIFEM promotes women’s empowerment and gender equality and works to ensure the participation of women in all levels of development. Biennial Report: “Progress of the World’s Women.”
- Feminist Majority U.S. based, huge lobbying campaign for economic, social and political gender equality; Afghanistan campaign; Links; Resource Room.
- U.N. Women Watch Information on women’s issues worldwide; Beijing+5 focus; Commission on Status of Women; U.N. women-related news; Annual book: The World’s Women.
- WEDO: Women’s Environment & Development Organization Advocacy, Campaigns, Programs towards increasing women’s visibility, roles and leadership; Publications & Links; Lead the UN Linkage Caucus.
- Association for Women in Development International membership organization & network working on achieving gender equality, sustainable development & human rights. Weekly email.
- WILD:Women’s Institute for Leadership Development Young women’s leadership issues; human rights.
- Global Fund for Women U.S. based organization that funds projects for women and young women in developing countries. Sponsors young women to attend U.N. events.
- International Center for Research on Women Provides information and academic papers on a wide range of women’s issues.
- Center for Development and Population Activities Organization that focuses on programs that empower women at all levels of society to become equal partners in development.
- The Global Alliance Against Traffic in Women A network focussing on the promotion of human rights in areas of migration, labour and trafficking in persons, particularly women.
- WomenAction A Coalition network of world-wide NGO’s working on Beijing+5 and women’s empowerment issues. Links & resources.
- Women In World History An interactive site full of information and resources about women’s experiences in world history: Biographies; Online Catalog; Links; Lesson plans with reviews.