First Returns on Peace Corps Funding Letters
By Jonathan Pearson on Monday, March 5th, 2012
The March 1st National Day of Action in Support of the Peace Corps is over, but the critical follow-up work is just beginning.
In the U.S. Senate and House, sign-on letters are circulating urging support for strong Peace Corps funding in Fiscal Year 2013. Please read this update and take appropriate action.
As of Friday, here are the eight Senators who signed the Feinstein-Isakson Dear Colleague letter: Akaka (HI), Bingaman (NM), Feinstein (CA), Isakson (GA), Mikulski (MD), Sanders (VT), Whitehouse (RI) and Wyden (OR). Please thank these Senators for their support.
For all other Senators, please take the following action.
- Follow this link for contact information to phone or email your Senators.
- If you are a constituent of Senators Daniel Inouye (D-HI), Patrick Leahy (D-VT) or Lindsey Graham (R-SC) follow this link for a special action.
- For other Senators, ask them to “Please sign the Feinstein-Isakson Dear Colleague letter in support of strong Peace Corps funding in Fiscal Year 2013.”
- If you are sending an e-mail to your Senators, you can use the sample message below as a guide. We encourage you to personalize your message if time allows.
As of Monday, here are the 41 Congressmen/women who signed the Farr-Petri-Honda-Garamendi Dear Colleague letter (Please thank these lawmakers for their support):
For all other Representatives, please take the following action:
- If you are not sure who your Congressman/woman is, visit www.house.gov and use the “Find Your Representative” link in the upper right corner.
- If you are a constituent of Congressman Hal Rogers (R-KY), Congresswomen Kay Granger (R-TX) or Nita Lowey (D-NY), follow this link for a special action.
- For all others, call your Rep’s office or the Capitol Hill switchboard (202-225-3121) and ask to be connected to the office of your Representative. If you want to send an email, visit your Reps’ website or follow this link to send your message (you may need your nine digit zip code for this link)
- Ask your Rep to: ”Please sign the Farr-Petri-Honda-Garamendi Dear Colleague letter in support of $400 Million for the Peace Corps in Fiscal Year 2013.”
- If you are sending an email to your Congressman/woman you can use the sample message below as a guide. We encourage you to personalize your message if time allows.
(Feel free to use this letter as a guide when writing to your lawmakers. Make sure to edit so you use the appropriate references for the Senate and House. Personalize if you can. Include your Peace Corps service and why you believe the Peace Corps is important.)
As a strong supporter of the Peace Corps, I am writing to urge you to please sign the (Senate/House) Dear Colleague letter requesting strong support for Peace Corps funding in Fiscal Year 2013.
As the Peace Corps community embarks on its next 50 years of service to our nation, your support for these two matters will recognize Peace Corps’ role in our evolving American story, and help provide resources that are necessary to support thousands of volunteers. The Peace Corps remains as one of our nation’s enduring expressions of global friendship and understanding. More than 200,000 citizens have answered the call to service, while Returned Peace Corps Volunteers provide ongoing service as leaders in communities all across our country.
I thank you in advance for taking positive action to support the Peace Corps.
(Your Name, Address and Peace Corps Affiliation/if applicable)
Follow this link for background information on Peace Corps funding